March 30, 2011

My turn

Alright, so finally...................finally. The Mister gave up on our Ikea coffee table standoff and said that he "doesnt care" and "I can do whatever I want"...but then, then I had some guilt to work thru. He was sincere and he said it all while laughing but still...So, I decided that instead of getting a new coffee table right now, Ill paint the one we have right now and that'll make us both happy for right now. Then, once I took ours away for a week, I saw just what The Mister was talking about.. We need one with height so when we eat there 3 times a week color, play games, its at a comfortable height for us so we dont have  to hunch over or sit on the floor. I totally get it...but it doesnt have to look like this does it?

Yup, not bad..but boring and bla and standard Ikea and boring and bla

and After:



I wanted something bright and bold and colorful, because well, I always want something bright and bold and colorful..I went with a bright yellow, which actually then turned into too bright and bold for my living room...I was going to glaze it with walnut oil and I started too as per my original plan, but it just looked dirty to me. So, I did a white-wash-dry-brush-thing over all of it and thought that was just perfect!


With flash, had to be done..but yikes..seriously, thats bright...this pic shows off more of the newly stripped and re-stained dark walnut top thats very barn-wood-esque


This bad boy was dinged and scratched and dented perfectly the last 6 years we;ve had it...but sadly, when I stripped and sanded it down, I lost them all....so out came my poker thing and my chains and my hammer and I was able to recreate the worn-with-love-marks it had before.


You know I love shabby...like just came out from the barn that its been in for 78 years kinda shabby



So, I was right! and, The Mister was right! and for right now, we both love our new-and-practical coffee table.

2 comments:

  1. cheep, cheerful and it keeps the "peace"....well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dharma! Functional AND pretty..I LOVE compromises!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you all! Thank you so much for taking the time to not only read my blog, but to comment and support!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...